Thursday, May 1, 2008

A Dark and Cold First Night

Jason mentioned (in his comment) our first night in Nebraska. I actually do have a little memory about it. I don't remember anything once we got inside or anything about the ride there, but I do have this clear memory of being pulled out of the vehicle and carried into the house. I am not sure if this is true, but it seems in my mind that I have always remembered the sky to be black and clear with some moonlight, making the snow glow. I just know that I felt safe and comfortable in the arms of my parents. I also keep thinking I was wearing soft, yellow zip-up PJs. Is that true? Anyone remember?

Anyway, It's nice to have a memory like that. My parents have always kind of carried me even when I kicked and fought it. And what I didn't know most of the time was the cold and dark that lay around me because they braved much of it for me while they protected me. Thanks to all people in my life who have carried me.

That was our first night in Nebraska. I don't remember the cold or the deep snow or any bad conditions on the road. Just a memory of being safely carried home. I am grateful for Jason's additions to it. It is the first of many, many good memories of Nebraska. Those will be fun to tell.

1 comment:

Papa Doc said...

It was so cold that night that ice formed on the inside of the truck windows. We could not see out of the side windows. The road up to the trailer was snow covered and we were worried that we wouldn't be able to get up to the house, but we made it. There was no heat on in the house and so I got all three children bundled up together in front of a small electric heater in the added-on room that served as our living room until the room heated up enough to move around.
Jim called an LDS bishop to see if anyone lived near us that could help us move the piano into the house. Two men appeared at our door about an hour and a half later to help us move in. The men were Verl Flack & Craig Gailey. Little did we know that they lived almost further away than any other members, but they were in the Elders Quorum Presidency and so they came - bless their hearts. They remain dear friends to this day. We had no idea how far away they lived until much later. That's true service.
I remember the frigid night - and yes, the sky was very, very black.
Mom