Saturday, May 24, 2008

A Tribute to A Primary Teacher

Well, this entry is dedicated to my primary teacher, Sister Madsen, in Lincoln, Nebraska. When I was 8, I had the greatest primary teacher in the whole world. Sister Madsen is still an inspiration to me today. When I taught sunbeams for 2 years with Amy, I often thought back to her and wondered how she would have approached each day. I fell far short of her effort, but I did find moments of improvement because of her inspiration.

Each Sunday, Sister Madsen would have a very well prepared lesson about the New Testament. I particularly remember the lessons about the journeys and writings of Paul the apostle. Sister Madsen had maps, scriptures, pictures, and more all organized. Somehow she was able to excite us about our lessons and learn. I remember how intensely everyone in the room listened (at least as far as I can remember). She gave us "homework" each week and rewarded us when we accomplished it. I learned an amazing amount about each subject for the age I was. She didn't aim too low with us, but expected much more of us than most primary teachers would for that age group. I don't actually remember a lot about the specific lessons, but the feelings of excitement and commitment that she instilled in me concerning the scriptures still stirs my heart today. I believe that Sister Madsen new how to help us newly baptized children, feel the influence of the Holy Ghost and today I can look back and recognize the feelings I had in those classes as the Holy Ghost. That is a sweet memory.

I am not sure if I am correct, but I keep thinking that she was this really small woman and her husband was pretty big. Anyone remember? Well, no matter her size, she surely was a spiritual giant to me. After all these years, she still impacts my life. This is how I hope to be for others, regardless of where that may be - in a small classroom with children, or in my Elder's Quorum each week I teach, or in the home of someone I hometeach. Sister madsen magnified her calling and inspired the heart of at least one small boy. I am grateful for her example.

4 comments:

Papa Doc said...

Adam,
I can't remember this woman at all. The name doesn't even ring a bell with me. My mind is completely blank concerning this woman and/or her husband.
I'm very glad you had a teacher that made such an impact. If you could find her these many years, it would be a wonderful thing for her to hear! Not many teachers get to know the "rest of the story."

Papa Doc said...

I too do not remember Sister Madsen. But I do know exactly what you mean about her having an impact on your life. I had lots of Sister Madsens in my own experience, and still enjoy the experience of being taught by a master teacher.

I think that is one of the things that motivates my own gospel teaching. Teaching is the best call in the Church. I only get to teach one Priesthood class per month right now, and it is the best part of my month.

Dad Clark

Papa Doc said...

I just read your post again, and I now know who the Madsens were. He was a tall blonde man who sold insurance, I think. She was a small good looking woman, and they both were nice. They lived out of town on the south of Lincoln. It was sort of on a hill if I remember right.

Dad Clark

Jason said...

I think Bro. Madsen's first name was Gayle. And yes, he was a pretty big guy.